Many people take good care of their cars, but they forget to do the same with the rest of their equipment. Cleaning a horse trailer certainly doesn’t qualify as one of the hardest things to do, but oftentimes it can be complicated to know where to start. Proper cleaning and maintenance of your horse trailer will not only increase its lifespan, but will also prevent your horses from harm. Learn our tips for cleaning a horse trailer.
8 tips for easily cleaning a horse trailer
In order to get a thorough cleaning of your trailer you can follow these steps:
- Open all windows and doors to let the trailer breathe and maintain proper ventilation. Keep everything open until you finish cleaning.
- If possible, raise the front of the trailer to let the water run and make it dry faster.
- Use a broom and/or a wire brush to remove dirt and stains. If your trailer has mats, remove them and clean them separately.
- Make sure to clean properly on all the corners and edges.
- Hose out the trailer before moving to the next step: giving it a clean using products but be sure to read the labels carefully before applying.
- For bigger or stubborn stains let the product sit for a few minutes before rinsing again with the hose (pay attention to water pressure!)
- Before putting the mats on their place and restocking your trailer again you have to be sure that it has dried completely to prevent having issues such as oxidation and mold. Leave all windows and doors open to let it dry from the inside out.
- For the outside, you should only use products and tools that will allow you to clean without damaging the exterior finish. Waxing it at least a couple times a year is also advisable.
When it’s time to clean, inspect your trailer to spot any imperfections such as holes or rotten areas on the floor and walls. Cleaning a horse trailer may not be a chore you’re looking forward to doing, but remember that a lack of maintenance can lead to injuries, so it’s in your best interest to keep it in good condition and perform any replacements to ensure your horses’ safety.
If you’re in the market for high quality, easy to clean horse trailers, GR Trailers is your best option. We’ll be happy to help with any questions!