Before going right ahead and purchase a brand new trailer it’s important to understand your options in order to choose the one that suits your specific needs. When it comes to livestock trailers among the options you may have are gooseneck trailers and bumper pull trailers. There are many differences between these two types of trailers, ranging from the way they look, capacity and also driving needs.
Bumper pull vs. Gooseneck trailers
What are the main considerations to keep in mind when comparing both models? Here’s a list of factors that could impact your purchase decision:
- Bumper pull trailers are generally smaller and easier to deal with, especially for inexperienced drivers, but gooseneck trailers come with more space and weight availability.
- Most bumper pull trailers could be hauled with a small to medium vehicle and do not require a commercial license. Depending on your state, hauling with a gooseneck trailer could put you past the weight limit and require such a special license.
- Gooseneck trailers are considered an option for more experienced customers with higher necessities. As such, they tend to cost more than bumper pull trailers.
- Gooseneck trailers provide more stability and might prove better in certain driving circumstances, but they need a bit more of driving skills than bumper pull trailers.
- If you want to haul a gooseneck trailer, anything less than a pickup truck won’t do the job.
- Bumper pull trailers do not require a special hitching system as gooseneck trailers do.
In conclusion, and according to people who have had the chance to test both bumper pull and gooseneck trailers, if you’re considering extra safety, stability and space (plus more comfort for the animals you plan to transport) as your top priorities then you should go for a gooseneck trailer. On the contrary, if you don’t haul very often or just want a more basic and affordable option, maybe a bumper pull will cover all your needs.
If you’re in the market for equipment for your farm or ranch, visit GR Trailers today and discover our catalog or get in touch by phone by calling 405-567-0567. We’d love to work together!